I have always been fascinated by people and how we live our lives. My first job was a ‘checkout chick’ at the local supermarket and I loved getting to know my customers and what was going on for them. I was curious about what they bought and what they were going to cook with it and how they provided for themselves and their families.
This curiosity has always been with me and I have taken it into all my jobs and the places I’ve lived and travelled to.
I love checking out the local noticeboards – seeing what’s important to the area, what they do socially, what work is around, whose selling what and whose offering to walk the dogs!
From the day I moved to Cairns, I set about getting to know how this town ticked.
I volunteered for local arts organisations, and I wandered through the streets, attended local events, chatted to people and discovered how they lived.. I still love walking through this town, bumping into people and seeing what's going on.
I have a great love for this community and its people.
I believe in a community where:
- People are valued and have an opportunity to contribute regardless of where their skill set or age
- People care about what is going on around them
- There is a true sense of what it is to be of service to your community and an understanding that we all play our part in this
- Community meetings are fun and harmonious with engaged residents
- Council facilitates connections between people, businesses, government organisations and community groups to deliver needed services, economic growth and plans for the future
- Where residents value shopping local and local businesses look after their community and each other …otherwise life of the community suffers for it.
"We are all needed to play our part to become a connected and strong community"